Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday Musings: Crettia Hunter Channels Safia


One thing that I truly I love about Detroit is our creative community that is filled with gifted visual artists, designers, and craft artists alike.One of my most fav artist and dear friend of Madukes and I is Crettia Hunter; also and affectionately/respectfully known as Mama Crettia. Crettia is a crochet/knit artist, jewelry designer, as well as a highly respected African Dance instructor here in Detroit.As a self-taught crochet artist, Crettia's  pieces are just beautiful and impeccably precise. She is known for designing and crafting her own crochet patterns and has held classes to teach her patterns to other knitters/crocheters @ City Knits. The story behind how she began crocheting is interestingly beautiful as she shares "I  named my shop after a friend. She was a fabulous crochet designer and she promised to teach me the art of crochet but God had another plan for her and she died from breast cancer.About a year after her death, I  layed out her creations and asked her to help me learn to crochet and lo and behold I did. I channeled Safia." Her online store Channeling Safia carries one-of-a-kind funky and eclectic made crochet hats,so check her out to rock your dome-fly!
Mrs. Crettia Hunter aka Mama Crettia rocking one of her fly pieces.
I LOVE this hat. It  has metal hearts linked in the crochet pattern-genius








They are so adorable in their Channeling Safia summer hats.
Channeling Safia earrings. I get SO many compliments on these.


No comments: